yourlocal3.com
July 23, 2014, 11:27:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New members: use an electrically related handle for signup to get in faster Thanks

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: SHAME ON LOCAL 3  (Read 7014 times)
whatsyoursocial

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2010, 10:40:34 AM »

There is a solution.......but they JIB CORP. and Local 3, don't want to give up "CONTROL".

They want you to drain your funds so you keep crawling back. To what I don't know.

that's the problem lamp, too many HAVE drained their funds. the well is emptythe cupboard is bare and still nero fiddles....sad Cry
from the hall

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2010, 10:43:59 AM »

cont.
so i visited their hall. 2085. (used to be # 403 but in 1960 they split with the telephone guys who kept the original; number)i went in , introduced myself, and had a 45 minute sit-down with the business manager.i was told as soon as i moved there , i had a job. i left with my ABC's.(agreement,bylaws,constitution).
that one visit i already saw how a hall should be. OPEN,TRANSPARENT, hell i even saw the unemployed list!
well it took 18 months to get legal immigration. so here i am today. an IBEW member who is actually happy . i work when i want, and i can say whatever i like at the meetings. and yes we are somewhat slower now, but thats the nature of the beast.when we are slow our B.M calls other halls and away we go. mostly to saskatchewan or alberta.

there's two kinds of people in this world...
us and them.
if you have to ask who Us is...
then you're one of THEM!
-greg aponte
from the hall

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2010, 10:51:16 AM »

cont.
well i guess my point is this. get the fuck out of there. you probably wont fix local 3. i still talk to my buddies back home. and cant believe how bad its gotten.
there wouldn't be anybody living in the US or Canada except the natives , if people didnt have the balls to try a new life.trust me when i say that local 3 is a bad example of a union hall. go find another one and you'll agree with me 1000%.i totally understand the complaining , but it is wasting your life and talents, if you get permanent residency up here, you can work in both the US and Canada. so when it gets good(if that ever happens) you got the world by the balls.and if any of you do come up, bring pizza. the pizza up here sucks.

us and them.
then you're one of THEM!
-greg aponte
levelsquare

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2010, 11:12:30 AM »

i left in '06 & can't beleive how bad it's gotten in nyc.  i knew it would eventually get to this point , but not like this , or this soon.
PlugFuse

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2010, 03:24:29 PM »

Local 3 is no longer Local 3.  I feel so defeated every week that passes by.  I spent ONE day as an A journeyman!  One day.  Now, I understand some guys didn't even get one day's worth of A money but after 8 years of breaking my ass to get it, I feel I DESERVED and EARNED the right to work one year MINIMUM with that card in my hand.

I have a question about this post.  How and why did you break your ass for 8 years before you got an A card?  I went through the program and it took me exactly 5 1/2 years to get my A card.   I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume it was a typo.  But if it was not the only way it would take you 8 years is if you came in non-union or if you failed 5 times throughout your apprenticeship in school.  Or any combination of semester failures and MIJ exam failures and A exam failures.  Or any other infractions throughout your apprenticeship such as missed work/school days, lateness... Friday night club member... ect...?  If it was the former at least you worked 8 years.  I have friends who went through the apprenticeship and only worked for 5 1/2 years before getting laid off.  If it is the latter... well all I can say is that I have no sympathy with you. 

If it was all a typo and you meant to say 5 1/2 years then... I apologize.

God_Help_Us_All
Apprentice members

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2010, 03:44:56 PM »

Chris 21-

8 Years was NOT a typo.  There are two ways to receive your "A" Money in this Local.

One- Apprenticeship for 5 years and then work as an MIJ for 18 months (now it's 2 years as MIJ I believe)
Two- "M" Helper for 4 years and "MJ" for 4 years (The way I went)

And before ANY of you call me a "MUTT" understand that I only went that route because it was the only way to get in at the time. 

Most of the time you hear about guys being mad because they not only dedicated their time working but also their time going to school and after all that hard work they still never get to work as an "A" man the minute they get that card and some schmuck who doesn't know the language and got it through his NON UNION shop is working in his place.

Consider two things before you rip me.  I was never non union Prior to coming into the Local and I was only 20 years old when I started.  So, even though I didn't go to school for 5 years I worked and learned the trade through the men on the job who all accepted me as an "M" helper because I kept my mouth shut, listened and paid attention,  and was always punctual.  I am sure it also helped that I was actually born and raised in this country and knew the language. 

So, to answer your question as to why it took 8 years, this is why.  No need to feel sorry for me, brother.
from the hall

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2010, 06:49:41 PM »

please excuse chris... he's a condescending one. i went through in "good times" and it took me over  6 1/2 years. i made every meeting, missed no school, never went to friday night club etc.started sept. 93 got the a card sept 2000 almost 7 years.
 apparantly not all of us are as perfect as chris.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 06:52:30 PM by from the hall » Logged

us and them.
then you're one of THEM!
-greg aponte
Pipetree
Holy Shit My Fingers are Tired!

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2010, 07:09:09 PM »

I  went thru the program as well. I started school before I started work because of slow times starting in 86. When I reached fourth year they told us that they were not giving the MIJ test because there was no work so I did two and a half years at fourth year pay when I did take the MIJ test I was told I could continue at fourth year because there was still no work or take a lay off and wait for a job. I wanted the MIJ card so I took the layoff I went from doing two and a half years of fourth year to unemployed waiting for an MIJ job. I was unemployed as a fourth year apprentice for four months. I did my MIJ time straight thru then passed the A test. I took that card and waited for a job again nine months this time. So Chris I started in 86 and got my first A job allmost nine years later what did I do wrong besides joining this local? I have held foreman positions and have taken most classes the local offered. I have a CDL and I am track certified I will do weekend work or Javits show work I have an asbestos licenses and will work any shift offered. So tell me Chris am I an asshole or what? I say yes I am.The waste of talent that I and so many others are is a shame.
PlugFuse

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2010, 09:15:17 PM »

please excuse chris... he's a condescending one. i went through in "good times" and it took me over  6 1/2 years. i made every meeting, missed no school, never went to friday night club etc.started sept. 93 got the a card sept 2000 almost 7 years.
 apparantly not all of us are as perfect as chris.

There's nothing condescending about my post.  And apparently there are a whole lot of others that are as "perfect" than I am since a majority, not including those who screwed up, got through in 5 1/2 years. 

And you know what I'll stand by what I'm about to say.  At least he got 8 years full employment.  Like I said plenty of brothers I know got laid off as soon as they completed their "perfect" 5 1/2 year apprenticeship. 

And then of course I'm sure you're one of those who complain that we bring in too may outsiders.
Oily
Holy Shit My Fingers are Tired!

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2010, 09:22:28 PM »

I hate to say it, But they messed up my paperwork and i Skipped 4 th yr,
Finished with a 4 1/2 yr apprenticeship,

But they got me Tongue
I had to make up my ''MIJ'' time because i had a temp ''a'' rate for 6 months Kiss

Ahhh 1969...70.The golden years, and the kicker is this was all done before my 25th birthday ( and i had 2 of them Grin)......It was a game back in the day Wink

Back to the topic at hand.........SHAME ON LOCAL 3 Angry.
God_Help_Us_All
Apprentice members

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2010, 09:34:49 PM »

"AT LEAST" I got 8 years of employment?  I agree, there is nothing condescending about you.  You're just foolish.  8 years of employment, true.  4 of those were for LESS than 20 an hour and the final 4 were for 25 bucks an hour or so without ANY raise for 4 consecutive years.  I am not sure if you're aware of the going rate for just about EVERYTHING in the TRI-STATE AREA but 25 a year without a raise for 4 straight years is hardly enough to progress in life much less survive.  So, i don't wanna hear how "fortunate" I was just BECAUSE I was working.  That's the fucking problem with people.  I'm supposed to feel fortunate that I work for 8 straight years?  I broke my ass for 8 year and learned the trade and ealt with shitty working conditions in some of the worst area's of NYC all because that's what you do during your "M" time all so when you finally get your "A" rate you could make a decent living and maybe not work in as many shitty areas.  I am happy that I worked but I am not lucky or fortunate.  I should be working right mother fucking now!  I shouldn't have to sit out of work for a mother fucking year after only working ONE MOTHER FUCKING DAY AS AN "A" JOURNEYMAN, Chris.  This is the biggest bnch of bullshit I've ever experienced in my life.  EVERY SINGLE "A" RATED JOURNEYMAN IN LOCAL 3 SHOULD BE WORKING 26 WEEKS ON AND THEN SIT OUT FOR 26 WEEKS.  THAT INCLUDES SUPERS, PROJECT MANAGERS, APPRENTICES, M-JOURNEYMAN, EVERYONE!  The leadership sucks and until it imrpoves, there will never be any change.
PlugFuse

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2010, 09:54:59 PM »

"AT LEAST" I got 8 years of employment?  I agree, there is nothing condescending about you.  You're just foolish.  8 years of employment, true.  4 of those were for LESS than 20 an hour and the final 4 were for 25 bucks an hour

Oh no... I said that and I meant it.  Nothing foolish about it.  Now we all know that M helper rate up until 2 contracts ago was a little more than A apprenticeship rate.  Not very much but it was more.  But let's not use those rates.  We'll use the current rates.  As of 5/12/10...  From 1st to 4th year the rates are $11.00, $13.00, $15.00 and $17.00.  We'll base this all on 35 hours since that's what A division works.  So if you were in an M shop you probably worked 40 hours... hence making more.  So from 1st to 4th year your total wages for each year would be;  19250, 22750, 26250, 29750.  That's also based on 50 weeks and no OT included.. Because you get 2 weeks vacation.  Total for those 4 years would be $98000.

cont...

PlugFuse

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2010, 09:56:00 PM »

cont...

Now here's the fun part.  An A apprenticeship has 1 1/2 year's left.  MIJ time at $25.30 an hour.  Again we'll be using 35 hours.  Because a lot of "MIJ's" are/were on A jobs.  For the first year they would be $44275.  The rest of their time... 6 months would be $22137.50.  Total in their 5 1/2 year apprenticeship is $164412.50.

In your case.  You would get the $98000 for your first 4 years.  And if we factor in the $25.30  at 35 hours for 50 weeks for 4 years the total in those 4 years would be $177100.  Total compensation for the 8 years you worked would be $275100.  You would have made $110687.50 more than someone who got laid off after the completed their 5 1/2 year apprenticeship.  
PlugFuse

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2010, 09:57:50 PM »

happy that I worked but I am not lucky or fortunate.  I should be working right mother fucking now!  I shouldn't have to sit out of work for a mother fucking year after only working ONE MOTHER FUCKING DAY AS AN "A" JOURNEYMAN, Chris.  This is the biggest bnch of bullshit I've ever experienced in my life.  EVERY SINGLE "A" RATED JOURNEYMAN IN LOCAL 3 SHOULD BE WORKING 26 WEEKS ON AND THEN SIT OUT FOR 26 WEEKS.  THAT INCLUDES SUPERS, PROJECT MANAGERS, APPRENTICES, M-JOURNEYMAN, EVERYONE!  The leadership sucks and until it imrpoves, there will never be any change.

I'm not saying you're wrong.  You're 100% correct you should be working right now.  We ALL should be working right now.  But that guy that made less than you in their time should be working before you.  That's all I'm saying.
yagsitsohg

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2010, 10:05:09 PM »

cont'd: I sincerely hope you never have to face what I and all of the other brothers have had to face but when the time comes (and it WILL, nothing is forever) you'll at least have an understanding and an appreciation just how shitty this really is.

I was in the same boat.....got my a card and was out for 10 months......worked for 5 and now i'm out for 3 moths now and who knows how longer?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: